Friday, July 2, 2010

News Flash!

I had a few posts prepared about Rio de Janeiro and Itai in Brazil, but they will have to wait until after the news flash.

So, in a mind boggling turn of events, the two year masters in fire protection program I had been accepted into, which originally was supposed to start in September, 2011, magically, in the form of a few keystrokes, turned into September 2010. Just like that.

I received this email yesterday. I had so much running through my head after that, that I had to walk to the beach and sit in the sand, have a cerveza, settle down, and process the whole thing (not a bad place to process such a change, on the beach, in 75 degree weather, watching the sunset, in Rio de Janeiro).

So here I sit, in Brazil. I am supposed to officially start school in Edinburgh on September 13th. 2 months.

Anyways, on the more optimistic side, I'll finish this program one year earlier than I anticipated, so that is really really really great.

Thing's I wanted to do, that now I can not:
-Go to Ecuador & Columbia for a few months. And Bolivia. And northern Chile might have even been in the plans again.
-Have 2 week vacation in Peru with parents
-Hammer my Spanish home. I really feel like it is pretty good now, and 2 or 3 more months would have just made it that much better. I would have been quite fluent.
-Spend 2 or 3 weeks in Brasilia with Pree & Jacqui, explore central Brazil and get OK at Portuguese.
-Spend some time in the bay area. More than 10 seconds, at least.

Flight has been booked to Estados Unidos. South America gallivanting is done. Arrive in Chicago 1:40 pm Thursday the 8th. I'll be booking a southwest flight shortly to Oakland, probably for Sunday or Monday the 11th/12th.

So anyways, I can't complain. It is still mind boggling though.... feels like I was cruising at 60 mph enjoying some soothing music and someone slammed on the brakes and jammed it into reverse. The next 60 days will probably be hectic, but it should work out. FUN. I am excited.

End rant.

PS: here is a link to the fire protection program:
http://www.imfse.ugent.be/index.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment!