Friday, May 14, 2010

The professional Siesta

Having got sick with the flu or something simliar here in Mercedes, Argentina, town of 40,000 people in northern Argentina, and thus staying much longer than I had anticipated, I ended up getting to know some of the people in Rotaract on more than a few occasions.

I finally got a clearer insight onto the siesta last night when it was explained by Ileana. I went out to dinner with Ileana from Rotaract and two of her friends. All three lawyers in their 30s, quite a hilarious experience, me being a 25 year old engineer from the 'big city' in the US.

Anyways, for example, last night they picked me up around 1030 to go to dinner. We didn't start munching on anything until 1130 at least. The place had some really typical live music from this region of Argentina as well. However, it was me who threw in the towel around 1240am, mostly because I was still feeling effects from my cold.

So the next day, they all have to be in to work by 7am. That's not much sleep. They work until 1pm, then shut everything down. Go home for lunch, and probably lunch until 2pm or so. Then, sleep until 4pm. I suppose that puts them at the 8 hour mark in 24 hours for sleep. Then they go back to work for at least 2 or 3 hours.

Kind of weird to think the whole town is sleeping between 2 and 4pm. No wonder I couldn't find a single place open the other day when I was hungry and looking for food!

Eating dinner in Mercedes with Ileana & her friends:


In other notes, Wednesday night got to meet a bunch of people from Rotaract at a meeting. Then Thursday two of them picked me up at my hostel and we walked around the city for a few hours. Nonetheless I saw most of the city in this time. The city is full of gauchos (cowboys). Stopped in a few gaucho wear stores, I really want to purchase one of these hats. For 12-15 bucks, I think thats a go. I look like an idiot, but who cares.

They told me the name of the hat 30 times, and I still can't remember it.


Street (really?):


Main Plaza:


Rotaract meeting:


Old building plus women carrying baby on bike:


Mate from Corrientes (the state that Mercedes is in). Gauchito Gil is like the Argentinian equivalent Robin Hood.


Gaucho sighting:


Baby on Bike:


Gauchito Gil:


Trying on Gaucho hats:


Off to Reserva Esteros del Ibera tomorrow until Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment!